Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor’s First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains, by Dr. Walt Larimore

Dr. Walt Larimore, fresh from Duke University, moves his family to Bryson City to join a rural medical practice.

Bryson City, nestled in the Smoky Mountains, is a close-knit community reluctant to embrace new people and change. It is a beautiful place with breath-taking scenery, cozy inns with delicious food shared with friends, and a simple wholesome way of life.

Dr Larimore takes us on a tumultuous journey through his first year as he wins the respect and friendship of the crusty medical personnel and his new patients. This book is filled with much humor, his vibrant faith, and also shows the bright and dark realities of country medicine. Dr Larimore entertains us with amazing tales (some of which are true), blesses us, and lets us see why small-town medicine is full of unexpected risks and rewards.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommended it to several people. Since I work in a hospital I found it especially interesting.

5 thoughts on “Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor’s First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains, by Dr. Walt Larimore

1. Wow, this book sounds like a wonderful blend of the James Herriot books with the Mitford series. Your review has really made me want to read it. I’ve added it to my “books to read” list!

2. Pingback: Larimore Family Newsletter - August 2009 Edition | Dr. Walt's Health Blog

3. What a delightful book! Reading this book gave me the same kind of pleasure I got from reading Jan Karon’s Mitford series and James Herriot’s books.

Walt Larimore is a consumate storyteller who adeptly blends short vignettes from his family life, medical practice, relationships with the “locals,” and his enjoyment of the amazing natural resources in this Smoky Mountain region. I was never bored–just eager for more!

I appreciated Dr. Larimore’s transparency and spiritual perspective on his life and work.

4. I’m also adding this to my ‘to read’ list! It sounds like a great book and I always find hospitals make interesting settings for novels. Hopefully I should get round to reading this soon (although I have a long list of books that I’ve been meaning to pick up for a while!) It’s a shame that we don’t make more time for reading as a society; all too often books come second to the TV or computer. I’ve resolved to make an effort to change this and intend to set aside time each day to spend with a book! It’s easy to forget how much enjoyment can be gained from reading as TV is always the easy option. Thanks for recommending this and inspiring me to refresh my interest in books!

5. I am also adding this to my “must read” list. I love books set in the mountains. The things doctors and nurses encounter! I can’t wait to read this. Thanks for sharing Pat.